Friday, March 13, 2009

I just discovered that my spell check application does not recognize dumpstered as a word. This means I have a lot of work to do educating people on the joy of dumpstering. The dictionary on my computer has this definition:

Dumpster Diving -
noun
the practice of raiding dumpsters to find discarded items that are still useful, can be recycled, and have value.

Im proud of apple for having such an enlightened perspective on dumpster diving. I would like to take it a step further and say that dumpstering food is actually liberating food that has been wrongly thrown out. It is criminal and quite revealing of our society that we throw out so much food that is completely edible, and that it is a common business practice. Its fucked up that its easier for business to waste tons of good food than to give it to people who can use it. I understand that there is a bottom line. For profit companies cant give away food and expect to turn a profit. It just seems strange that so much waste is built in to the way food is distributed in America.
It is exactly for this reason that I feel compelled to liberate the food I eat from a premature death inside a dumpster. Ok to be fair, it also makes sense for me to eat for free since I have limited income at the moment. I believe however, that this blog will show I am able to eat as well, if not better than folks who have the money to purchase new products from store shelves. The meals I ate today are 98.9% liberated food. (some of the spices were purchased)
Breakfast:

Untitled


Toasted english muffins with raw organic almond butter and honey, one open faced swiss and tomato muffin, black cherry yogurt, red grapes, and 2 cups of folgers coffee.

Photobucket


The grapes I ate for breakfast today were King Fresh brand from Visalia California. Kyle I was Chillin' Down with those grapes...they were Hella fresh!

This was a late breakfast. My Brother Gruesome band mate Levi came over today and helped me install insulation in my room. We snacked on some grapes. After work was complete we went to his place to eat some BBQ that he had been preparing.

Photobucket

Photobucket

We at it with sauteed potatoes with onion garlic and red bell pepper, fresh sliced tomatoes and toasted bread. Levi made his first ever crock pot meal and it was delicious. He made the BBQ sauce from scratch ( it looks orange but it was the best ive had since Chatanooga TN after the Parenthetical Girls show.) These ribs were seriously delicious, if someone wants the recipe let me know.

Photobucket

Photobucket

If anyone is worried the meat we ate tonight was labeled Sell By March 18th.

Thanks to Oklahoma city area grocery stores for the following ingredients:
Boneless beef ribs, english muffins, small yellow potatoes, red bell peppers, roma tomatoes, red grapes, Soy swiss cheese, raw organic almond butter, Yoplait yogurt, Folgers Coffee

Todays Soundtrack
Leonard Choen - "Songs of Love and Hate"
Black Mountain - various tracks
Bruce Springsteen- "Nebraska"

2 comments:

  1. Do you drink a lot of milk, and if so how do you manage to acquire that in date?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I occasionally drink milk. Friends of mine seem to find it more than me. Yogert is abundant and almost never foul in my experience. I am a fan of the sight and smell test rather than the printed date to tell when food is bad. I drank some silk in my coffee today that was a month past date and smelled and tasted perfect. Also stores will throw out items before the date for various reasons. The boneless ribs i got were dated march 18 (and fully sealed) If your interested in dumpstering yourself and want more tips let me know. Im happy to share.

    ReplyDelete