Friday, March 27, 2009

Cabbage and Potatoes and Big Budget Shows

Ive been home from SXSW for 4 days now. I had a photo shoot with Evangelicals, recorded some tracks for Brother Gruesome, got to see Lil Wayne up close, and worked a Broadway show, and told "The Skunking Story" to a lot of people.
A lot of the food I have right now is stuff left over from my last dumpster trip before going to Austin. Mostly tomatoes, red/yellow potatoes, cabbage, carrots, zucchini, garlic and rice. For three days I've been experimenting with various recipes using these ingredients. After trial and error i think i have a combination worth sharing. Its definately time to get some more food. Although cabbage and potatoes are delicious, it has lost its luster after 3 days.
Potato and Cabbage Meal or (Todds Irish Stir fry-thanks for the name Levi)

<span class=


A plus to this dish is that its delicious and the ingredients are extremely cheap.

Serves 1 very hungry person

1 small red potato sliced thin
3 Roma tomatoes quartered or 15 cherry toms cut in half
1/4 head of cabbage
1/2 zucchini sliced thin
3 carrots sliced thin
1/2 cup of rice
2-3 cloves of garlic minced
(You should however, have a solid stock of these spices,you may have to borrow or purchase from a store.)
1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
soy sauce 1 tablespoon maybe more
dark molasses
4-5 cap fulls apple cider vinegar
Cayenne pepper to taste

Preparation:
start cooking the rice. while its cooking cut up all the vegetables. Heat up oil in a pan, cast iron if you have it. I love cooking in cast iron my new room mates have one and its seriously the only pan I like to cook in. When its hot throw in vegetables stir while adding the spices and garlic. I like to add the garlic last so its flavor is still strong. Cook it all together on med heat for about 15 min.

I ate three variations on this dish so far this week and found this combination of spices to taste the best.

On Wednesday my totally awesome roommate Megan made an awesome stew with carrots, tomatoes, green, beans, corn, and tiny little star shaped noodles. The spices seemed to have an Italian flare.

<span class=


I had two helpings of this dish, one Wednesday night and one Thursday morning for breakfast. I started to feel guilty when I realized I ate more of it than both of my roommates.

Wednesday morning my friend David invited me over to make and eat breakfast at his place. He has a well stocked fridge and pantry. I made bagel sandwiches for us both.

Untitled

cowboy coffee made from some crappy, but free, 1/2 the caff Folgers.

Untitled

The fix ins.

Untitled

The finished product.

Monday: Lil Wayne show.

Breakfast 6:30am - One apple, a corn Pancake, two-three cups of coffee and two packaged
raisin danishes at the Cox Center.

Untitled

I hung lights for the lil Wayne show. The highlight was during the load out when I was picked to follow lil Weezay from the stage to his tour bus carrying some of his bags. His dreads are awesome and he is shorter than me, but incredibly buff.

Lunch 12:00pm - Catered food from the stage hand job. This was the best meal I had eaten in the week since leaving for SXSW.

Dinner 8:30pm - Irish stir fry. (See Above)

Here are some of the Delicious snacks I ate this week:

Sardines in tomato sauce Tue 2:30am:(thanks Levi)

<span class=

<span class=



Bagel and creme cheese with orange, banana, and green apple:(Thursday on my work break at the Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Broadway show with Levi)

Untitled


What I have listened to this week.
Early Beat (live at the Hilo)
Lil Wayne
New Secretly Canadian releases


1 comment:

  1. Excellent blog, sir.

    I hope to see you in Buffalo and/or Rochester again so we can consume many beers.

    ReplyDelete