Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Allergy Scares and Dumpster scores

It was the last Friday in March and lunch had worn off. I began searching the kitchen for something quick and tasty. I had some rice left over from the lunch I made for Nicolas and myself.

Photobucket

It was some Thai style vegitables with coconut milk. I guess the coconut milk is the only thing "Thai" about it. I just used the usual stir fry ingredients from my last post.



Lunch turned out great but now it was dinner time, and my plan was to mix a can of 5 bean soup with the leftover rice. A close friend of mine had gone on a dumpster mission the night before and came home with an epic score. Probably 10 boxes of food. She was generous and let me fill up 3 shopping bags, which has been the majority of my diet since last Thursday. Here is what I got
:

UntitledProduce


Roma Tomatoes (8pack)
Bell peppers (3pack)
Fresh green beans
whole mushrooms
Aspagagus
Eggplant
Mango
Garlic
Lemon/Lime

StaplesPhotobucket


Cheese
Butter (2 sticks)
Loaf of bread (not dairy)
3 Yogurt Cups
50 DVD-Rs( yeah I know thats not food but its still awesome I cant believe these were thrown out. Its a brand new pack the plastic is just ripped a bit.)
Fish Oil Suppliment. (Also not really food but just what I needed, Ive started taking these to see if they will help with dry skin.)

Dry Goods<Untitled


Oranic Lime Tortilia Chips
6 pack of Boisenberry Spritzers (100% Juice Hooray for no Corn Syrup)
and 4 cans of Various organic Bean soups (or so I thought.)

Ok I was telling a story about making beans and rice. I grabbed a can of what I thought was 5 bean soup from my cabnet. You see, the label had come off of the can when I washed it the previous night. After opening the mystery can I found lamb and rice wet dog food. I though I had looked before washing the label off the cans. Horrified I grabbed another can with no label and found the 5 bean soup. Unfortunately one of the 5 beans were garbanzos which I am allergic to. After picking them out one by one I ate my pot of beans and rice. I dont know if there is a lesson here other than carefully read the label.
I had another allergy mishap this week when I eagerly dove into a package of eggrolls that were made with ground peanuts instead of pork.

Photobucket I drank a shot of vinegar and took a benadryl which helped with the irritation of my throat. Lucky for me I'm not deathly allergic to peanuts, and had only eaten 1/2 of an eggroll before realizing it was made with peanuts.
All of that happened in a 24 hour period last Friday. Other than that slight misfortune It has been a great week of food and eating.
Saturday:
Nicolas and Megan asked me to go to breakfast at Jeff's Country Cafe this morning. Being tired and broke i opted for making my own breakfast.

Photobucket
Hashbrowns with bell peppers tomatoes and garlic and toast with almond butter.

The next meal was in the evening I made a pasta sauce with eggplant, 3 roma tomatoes, spinach, fresh garlic, and one can of tomato paste. This sauce was enough to feed my room mate and I.

Photobucket Saturday evening I played Trivial Prisuit-drinking game style with my room mates. The rules are simple go in a circle and ask the person across from you each question on a card. For each question they get right you take a drink for each question they miss you take a drink. It gets more fun as the game goes on. After a couple hours of this we all agreed it was time for a pie from Pizza palace.

Untitled


Nicolas and I ate pizza palace around 2:30am. Its the best pizza place open all night that ive found in OKC.

Sunday 3-29-09
Toast with almond butter and molassas

Untitled



Sonic Food: Sonic burger with tots, Rt 44 Dr Pepper, Jalepeno poppers, french fries, oninon rings.

Photobucket


Thank you to my grandmother Nan for all the free Sonic food. My father and I visited her this day to watch the OU v. NC game, quite depressing loss for OU.

Pastrami Sandwich with tomato pepper jack mozerella, and an egg.

Photobucket thanks David for the awesome free dinner.

Late night:
Megans Delicious white bean and garlic soup.

Photobucket

Monday morning


8:00 am
Hashbrowns and almond butter toast with yogurt.

Untitled



Lunch Turkey sandwiches with soy cheese red bell peppers and organic corn chips

Untitled

dinner:

Photobucket
Pork chops asparagus kim chi, rice, and fresh salad. Thank you Shannon and Shana for making this awesome dinner. Chris the steak you made was delicious also.

This was a great week of eating. I still have a lot of dumpstered food from my friends. Today I stopped at a grocery store on the way to pick up a friend and holy shit what did i find........

Photobucket






1 comment: